Eating right is quintessential to a healthy lifestyle. So, in the search to bring the best, I’ve found this juicy recipe: Charred eggplant mixed with tomatoes and polenta.
Active: 45 min Total: 45 min
The sweet flavor and plump flesh of ripe tomatoes are a natural fit with the silky texture that eggplant gets from grilling. You can get same effect by broiling for about 4 minutes per side.
4 cups of water
1 cup of cornmeal
1 tablespoon of butter
½ teaspoon of salt
1 pound of plum tomatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 clove garlic, grated
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut into ½ -inch thick slices
½ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup shaved ricotta salata or crumbled feta cheese
Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook. Stirring occasionally, until thickened and cornmeal is tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
1. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Toss tomatoes with 3 tablespoons of oil, oregano, garlic, pepper, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/4 tablespoon salt in a large bowl.
3. Brush eggplant with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Grill, turning once, until tender and charred in spots, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool for 10 minutes. Chop into bite-size pieces and add to the tomatoes along with basil.
4. Serve the tomato mixture on top of the polenta. Serve with cheese.
5. Serve ¾ cup of polenta and 2 cups of vegetables each.