Like a child in a candy store, that’s how most of us feel, going in to a first date; and when the deal falls through, we feel rotten, cheated and sometimes overlooked. Psychologist Andrew Dash tells us that it takes no rocket scientist to know if he’s a loser, a frantic romancero or an eccentric punk.
At the end of a date, most men, if they at least find the women physically attractive, will try to make some physical contact—even if they don’t have an interest in seeing the women again. Beware the aloof demeanor with a pat on the back, or the cheek-bump kiss-on-the-cheek fake-out, or the handshake. These are sure signs of disinterest. A real hug with a rub on the back is a good thing. According to relationships gurus Steve and Joann Ward, here are five actions to watch for that will help you determine if a man is physically attracted to you:
- He makes eye contact with you or more than one instance during the date, like putting his hand on your back when he lets you go through a door first.
- He maintains eye contact throughout the entire date and is not easily distracted.
- You notice him observing you when you are not engaged in the conversation.
- He sits up straight, leans in toward you, and has his arms uncrossed.
- He laughs and smiles, and he notices when other men look at you. And mom always says if he hugs you tight and holds on, it’s because he doesn’t want to let you go, and he’s definitely interested. I couldn’t agree more.
Note: Gyna Jean-Pierre is a creative writer. She is the author of several essays on women in the Caribbean. She lives in Ponte Vedra, Florida.